Mother’s Day takes place on the second Sunday in May of every year. Although we believe hardworking mothers should be celebrated every day, Mother’s Day provides a special time to thank our mothers, to honor our grandmothers, celebrate soon-to-be mothers, and to continue building a tradition of caretaking.
Some celebrate Mother’s Day with flowers and thank you cards. Some choose to spend the day catering to Mom’s needs, while others take Mom out for a nice meal. Still, some people find that taking Mom on a new adventure is the best way to celebrate. One thing is for sure, how you celebrate should cater to Mom and her preferences. Florence, Oregon, is a great place for things to do for Mother’s Day, as it has fun for every type of mom. You can start by planning your perfect Mother’s Day weekend adventure with the River House Inn.
All of our rooms are well appointed with the comforts of home, and most have an absolutely unforgettable river view (be sure to ask for one when you book your stay). With clean and comfortable rooms (some with private spas), our Special Experience Packages will create a beautiful and memorable weekend for Mom. Some of the packages you can choose from are:
- Romance Package: This is an excellent package for Mom and her partner to celebrate motherhood. This packages includes a $50 gift certificate to one of our top-rated local restaurants, sparkling cider for two, a beautiful display of silk rose petals, origami swan towels, and finished off with delicious chocolate truffles.
- Ocean Dunes Golf Links Package: This package is perfect for the golf-loving mom in your life. This package features 18 holes of golf for two at the Ocean Dunes Golf Links at the Three Rivers Casino, and also includes a cart rental.
- Florence Golf Links Package: This is a fantastic opportunity to golf in the most beautiful environment, surrounded by gorgeous pines and expansive coastal skies over the rolling dunes.
You could even partner with a local florist to have a lovely bouquet delivered to her room before her arrival. Check out Florence In Bloom to get an idea of your flower (and some essential extras) options, and to see the stunning arrangements available.
Where to Eat
Mother’s Day is a day of celebration, but whatever events you have planned, you still need to eat. Florence offers plenty of places that boast delicious meals and tasty drinks. Each of the golf courses have places to eat during your golf game, but you can also find a plethora of other restaurants to cover your appetites while you’re out and about. Some of our favorite picks are:
- Breakfast: River Roasters – With a scrumptious selection of pastries and a fantastic coffee and tea menu, River Roasters is a favorite breakfast spot for locals and travelers alike. What’s more, on Mother’s Day, Mom gets a free drink. How cool is that?
- Brunch: Lovejoy’s Restaurant and Tearoom – Mother’s Day Royal High Tea – Lovejoy’s is a well-loved tearoom and coffee house in Florence. They are hosting two seatings of Mother’s Day Royal High Tea. This includes fabulous tea and a 4-course authentic teatime meal. Visit the site for reservations.
- Dinner: Waterfront Depot Restaurant – As the name suggests, this high-end restaurant sits on the waterfront, overlooking the Siuslaw River, and provides breathtaking views of the Siuslaw River Bridge. The menu is full of fresh seafood prepared by talented chefs. This is a local favorite for special occasions, and reservations are a must as they’re only open for dinner service from 4-9 p.m.
Between meals, there are so many options for fun things to with Mom. Florence boasts art galleries, antique shops, hobby shops, book shops, golf, aerial tours, sand dunes, ATV rentals, sandboarding, and some of the best fishing in the country. How you choose to fill your time is your choice, but no matter your preference, Mom is sure to love it.
- Aerial Tours: The best way to see the glorious scenery of the Oregon Coast is from the air. Aero Legends offers several thrilling adventures in an open-cockpit biplane.
- Fishing: If the Mom in your life enjoys fishing, Florence offers numerous waterways to catch a trophy. You’ll need to ensure you’ve got your angling license, but you can get guidance on equipment and locations from the locals. You can find information on licensing and fishing locations at the Best Fishing In America site.
- Hiking: Florence is in a perfect location for hiking. Surrounded by breathtaking lakes, rivers, forest, waterfalls, and ocean beaches, you’ll never be bored with the scenery. All Trails by National Geographic shares the details on 17 recommended trails near Florence.
- Old Town Shopping: Within Florence, you can stroll the shops in Old Town, and find something special in one of the many antique shops, gift shops, or art galleries.
You don’t even need a plan, beyond where to stay and where to eat. Some of the best vacations are improvised, chasing adventure as it comes. Staying in the room and enjoying the peace and quiet is a lovely option as well. A nice cup of coffee and a new book sounds like a dream to some moms.
When you stay at the River House Inn, much of the city is within a few minutes’ walk, and the care and expertise of our staff is at your fingertips. Give us a call today to book your perfect stay in gorgeous Florence, Oregon.